samba4 and unix extensions

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Fri Sep 17 10:25:16 MDT 2010

Up until now I've only been using my samba4 server to serve to windows clients,
which seems to be working perfectly.

However, I finally got around to trying to setup my linux workstation to work
with the samba server, and have discovered if I try to mount a share it fails
either with "permission denied" or "cannot allocate memory" depending on whether
or not I have the following lines enabled in smb.conf:

server max protocol = SMB2
client max protocol = SMB2

Using wireshark the sessions look the same either way.

SMB Trans2 Request, QUERY_FS_INFO, Query FS Device Info
SMB Trans2 Response, QUERY_FS_INFO
SMB Trans2 Request, QUERY_FS_INFO, Query FS Attribute Info
SMB Trans2 Response, QUERY_FS_INFO
SMB Trans2 Request, QUERY_FS_INFO, Unix Query FS Info
SMB Trans2 Response, QUERY_FS_INFO, Error: STATUS_INVALID_LEVEL
SMB Trans2 Request, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Query File Unix Basic, Path:
SMB Trans2 Response, QUERY_PATH_INFO, Error: STATUS_INVALID_LEVEL
SMB Tree Disconnect Request

If I disable unix extensions either in the server, or with an option to
mount.cifs, I am able to mount the path, but I then run into all sorts of
permissions problems.

Also the linux computer is joined to the domain, net join didn't create a
krb5.keytab or anything, so I'm not sure that being joined really means much.

Should I be able to use unix extensions with samba4, or is that not yet implemented?

-Aaron