[Samba] Samba4, DNS, and joining clients

Philip M. White pmw at qnan.org
Sun Sep 12 12:48:00 MDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:36:30AM +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> I think the first grant line is supposed to allow your clients to
> update their own A or AAAA records.

Michael, you're absolutely right, and now I was able to get it to work.
My debug level for BIND wasn't high enough to see that BIND was
rejecting update requests from my clients -- even though I had those
GRANT lines in the configuration file.

The problem is that my version of BIND wasn't 9.7.2-rc1, but "only"
9.7.1, the latest stable version.  Installing 9.7.2-rc1 fixed the
problem, and now my Windows 7 clients are in the DNS!  The Samba4 HOWTO
even states that version 9.7.2-rc1 or higher is required for dynamic DNS
to work, and I ignored that part.

Thanks again, and Samba4 developers, please keep up the great work and
the great documentation.

--
Philip