About GPOs

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Thu Sep 9 10:23:54 MDT 2010

Hi Matthieu,

Matthieu Patou wrote:

>  Matthias, Wilco
>
> The same but with content !
>
> I was wandering in the GPO and in the way we create them.
>
> For some reasons we use to create GPT.INI with a version of 1 for the
> Machine part and 7 for the User.
> By chance the versionNumber of default domain policy as the same
> value, but for instance the default domain controller policy has a
> version of 2 (0 for machine and 2 for user).
>
> My proposal is to have provision that create GPO of version 0 both in
> the sysvol and in the AD.
Feel free to change them if you really think that they're wrong. I've
set these values according to a dcpromoted Windows Server AD (still
release 2003 I think). But it could be that I've already performed some
changes on it.
Probably your change doesn't make a difference since it's only important
that they get incremented after each GPO change. But is version "0" the
first (not version "1")?
> I propose also to remove this two attributes: gPCUserExtensionNames
> and gPCMachineExtensionNames as GPMC will create them if needed.
> As we do not really know how to construct them and as we don't need
> them absolutely I propose to remove  them.
Well if you don't see them on a Windows Server-provisioned AD then
please remove them!

Greets,
Matthias