Possible to get Samba3 to use Samba4 server idmap info

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 00:10:53 MDT 2010

 On 08/31/2010 08:54 AM, Michael Adam wrote:
> Well...
>
> When you are accessing / copying data between the servers with
> other means than samba, you might get problems: once you start
> using your idmap rid/hash/whatever setup, the unix ids thus
> created start appearing in your file system as owners or in acls.
> At that point you can't easily switch the idmap configuration on
> the file server any more. That is you can, but it will break
> ownership and permissions on disk. So you need to be really
> careful once an idmap config goes productive.
>
> If you are using rsync, do not use it with the "--numeric-ids"
> switch but let it use local nsswitch name->unixid resolution.
>
> If you want to change the id mapping in the future, be prepared
> to run some scripting over your files to adapt ownership.
>
> Cheers - Michael
Well, I am finding I have some programs that need xattr/posix acl (not
user/group/world that is the standard). Looking at cifs mounting
options, I see that this can't happen, or so it seems, without common
unix user id and group ids between systems.

If there is any way to get S4 to cooperate with other instances to make
the uid/gids (if such isn't already done... I haven't looked enough to
know if it is local or global) and to have a way S3 has access to this,
it would be fantastic.

I am also chasing a Firefox 4 crash which is happening with a pam_mount
home directory to a cifs S4 share. It may be my screw up, it may be S4
or FF4. I will share more soon.

Trever

--
"What we Are is God's gift to us. What we Become is our gift to God." --
Unknown