should I be able to set printers and folder option via group policy?

Aaron Solochek aarons-samba at aberrant.org
Sat Sep 4 17:13:33 MDT 2010

On 09/04/2010 05:24 PM, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>  Hi,
> On 05/09/2010 00:30, Aaron Solochek wrote:
>> /var/lib/samba/sysvol/foobar.com/Policies/{0C95ADB9-08A4-4387-BADF-11D63413367D}/User/Preferences#ls
>> -la .
>>> What are the ntfs rights of the folders ?
>> When I try to view those (right clicking and going to
>> properties->security tab)
>> I get "The requested security information is either unavailable or
>> can't be
>> displayed"
>>
>> At some point I noticed that my /etc/fstab was messed up and the space
>> between
>> the type and options had disappeared, resulting in a type of
>> "ext4user_attr"
>> Surprisingly the system seemed fine with that, but it was causing the
>> extended
>> attributes to not work.  I don't know if that could be related or not,
>> but
>> thought I'd mention it.
>>
> Thanks for notifying it :-) it means that you don't have xattr anymore
> and as we store ntacls in xattr you don't have NTACLS anymore appart
> from the basic one that result from the translation of the unix rights
> so given your ls I can say that you don't have the right to write to the
> folder.
>
> I suggest that you get your xattr back online, and you check that you
> are able to set NTACLS from windows (think to give your +w on
> folders/files so that you can set the ntacls).
>
>>> For me it looks like the Preference folder has been created by someone
>>> else (because it's not done by the provision) and you don't have the
>>> right on it.
>>> Can you create a folder under the User folder ?
>>>
>> Actually, I wasn't able to create folders anywhere.  I turned off SMB2
>> and I was
>> able to create folders anywhere I felt, and was able to actually see the
>> security information for them.  So I guess SMB2 is the source for a
>> lot of my
>> issues.  Hopefully turning that off solves everything.
>>
> I wouldn't appear like the guy who is always grumbling but going to the
> list with this kind of information at the beginning can save us time and
> also having by default the idea to make a test without well can save
> even more time :-)

Yes, I had gotten so distracted by the group policy stuff that I had neglected
to make sure the basic stuff was still working.  But is it expected that SMB2
will fail like this?  I thought I read some threads earlier on the list that
suggested that turning on SMB2 would solve some issues with windows 7, and
because I was having some issues, I enabled it.  Is there no reason I should
care about SMB2?

Anyway, I apologize for failing to provide all the relevant information at the
beginning.  Thank you very much for the help anyway.

-Aaron