Samaba4 sucess story and roaming profile issues

Matthieu Patou mat at matws.net
Sat Sep 4 01:43:29 MDT 2010

  On 03/09/2010 21:55, David Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm also one of the users-testers of samaba4 and it's been quite a good
> experience with it, I've found it very useful and has mostly everything I'd
> need for my client's needs.
>
> I have deplayed it in semi-production eviroments and it's been running good
> for months now, but with one of my implementations involving roaming
> profiles aned folder redirection, I've come across to some sort of glitch
> with Windows 7 and one specific user.
>
> I've provisioned my domain as swaid on the howto, added the BIND stuff and
> DDNS updates are "kinda" working, also I've created an OU and into that OU I
> created a new GPD redirecting some users folders and also roaming profiles;
> I have the following setup:
>
> 1 CentSO 5.5 x86 Samba PDC machine
> 1 Windows 2008 Server R2 (domain member only) machine
> 2 Windows 7 x64 machines
> 1 Windows XP SP3
>
> Users: demo1 and david with romaing profile setup on the AD Users and
> Compùters tool to have their romaing profiles stored at
> \\gateway\users\profiles<file://gateway/users/profiles>.
>
> Profiles get created as david, david.V2 and demo demo.V2, I can login to the
> W2k8 or wxp machine and the roaming profile and folder redirection works
> iike a charm, but when I try to loging to any Win7 box, I get the temporary
> login warning, and event viewer spits out this Warning:

> And then these two errors:
>

> Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary
> profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.
>
> Windows has backed up this user profile. Windows will automatically try to
> use the backup profile the next time this user logs on.
> I can login with user david to any other machine and have no problems, is
> there something wrong with my setup, or my head?.

In order for the other to help you need also to dig a bit more (or even
more than a bit) from your side.
This means (not a complete list):
* look in the event log of windows
* look in the log of samba with at least a debug level of 5
* make a trace with wireshark and see what happened (if there is access
denied message for instance ...)

Otherwise you might not receive support because we are still a limited
community.

So please have a look at this get back to us with more detailed information.

Matthieu.