How to start with the build farm

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Sep 4 01:21:59 MDT 2010

Zahari,

We talked about you helping out on the Samba build farm - I've not done
a good job of maintaining it in recent time, and the others on the
build@ alias are equally busy.  As scripted build automation systems
seem to be an interest of yours, I wondered if you might like to take a
crack at it.

Anyway, some pointers: the build farm scripts are maintained in SVN

svn checkout svn://svn.samba.org/build-farm

There are a few (not many) additional scripts on the server, and I can
get you a copy of the DB it operates on if you like.

The build farm hosts download the .fns files in that checkout, and run
the sh scripts locally, building Samba and uploading the results.  The
server-side parses the results, puts things in a database (to warn about
dead hosts and track some other details) and moves the files into an
area that we publish.  The web scripts then display it all up on
build.samba.org.

One particular idea I had is to rework the 'load into the DB' layer into
a python script, which would properly handle exceptions.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.