Memory corruption issue when samba4 is the target of a net vampire command

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 27 01:52:58 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 17:23 +0200, Angelos Oikonomopoulos wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been playing around with Samba 4 from git master (specifically
> 5785f08268bac332d09bdf71d1907ecb54f3b5bd from last Thursday). It seems
> to work well so far, but I've run into a bug when trying to add a second
> samba4 server as an additional DC, following the instructions in
> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO/Join_a_domain_as_a_DC.
>
> Specifically, the net vampire command described in that page crashes the
> existing DC pretty reliably. I've tried looking into it today but I
> think I'll need some help to track down the root cause (and produce a fix).

If this is reproducible, then put printf() statements in near every
questionable variable.  valgrind will then complain when you print
invalid things, now that it knows you expected it to be valid NOW,
rather than later.

I don't see from what you have sent why the task would not be valid.  It
is passed in to the socket code at the top level, and ends up being
passed to the accept handler.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.