s4:"samdb_search_count" - introduce a "mem_ctx" parameter

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 25 18:40:47 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 19:43 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> The branch, master has been updated
>        via  6fb64b9 s4:"samdb_search_count" - introduce a "mem_ctx" parameter
>        via  fd7943b ldb:gendb_* calls: support a "NULL" resultset parameter
>       from  8bc2b54 s4-test: Extend DRS-msDSIntId test to verify Configuration NC replica also
>
> http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=samba.git;a=shortlog;h=master
>

> - Log -----------------------------------------------------------------
> commit 6fb64b9c7a281c2d148238390fccc08dce962f92
> Author: Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer <mdw at samba.org>
> Date:   Mon Oct 25 18:14:02 2010 +0200
>
>     s4:"samdb_search_count" - introduce a "mem_ctx" parameter
>
>     All other "samdb_search_*" calls do have one - why "samdb_search_count" doesn't?
>
>     Autobuild-User: Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer <mdw at samba.org>
>     Autobuild-Date: Mon Oct 25 17:42:33 UTC 2010 on sn-devel-104

Matthias,

While I do appreciate your clean-up work, I would encourage you to ask
such questions on IRC or the mailing list, rather than just guessing and
committing.

In this case, the reason there is no mem_ctx parameter is that no memory
is returned, and so there is no reason that the caller should supply a
memory context.

While there are other functions in Samba that take a memory context and
do not return memory, that should not be taken as precedent - in fact,
these should be tidied up so that they do not return memory.  As the
behaviour changes can be subtle, I ask that you allow me to review such
patches for you.

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.