Samba4 ACLs and Linux ACLs

J. Bruce Fields bfields at fieldses.org
Mon Oct 25 11:54:32 MDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 01:39:00PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 12:48:08PM +0200, André Stierenberg wrote:
> > Ok. And what about using the NT ACLs via NFS on a linux client which
> > can authentificate against samba4 ad? (and what about CIFS? but it
> > is too slow)
>
> Sorry, but I can't really speak authoritatively on the state
> of NFSv4 in Linux. I would expect OpenSolaris to export
> NFSv4 ACLs fine via the protocol (haven't checked though).
> Whether you can make use of those via the Linux NFS client
> -- no idea.

See

	http://acl.bestbits.at/richacl/

which is an attempt to add NT-like ACL support to ext4.  It hasn't been
accepted into the Linux kernel yet.

Currently the Linux NFSv4 server attempts to map between posix and NFSv4
ACLs using the algorithm described in sections 6.2 and 7.2 of

	http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/rfc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-05.txt

while the NFSv2/v3 code uses a sideband protocol to manage posix ACLs.

--b.