Samba4 ACLs and Linux ACLs

André Stierenberg andre at stierenberg.de
Sun Oct 24 04:29:41 MDT 2010

Am 24.10.2010 00:49, schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 05:05:29PM +0200, André Stierenberg wrote:
>
>> hi...
>>
>> i have running samba4.. is it possible to use the acl´s assigned to
>> the file via samba4 in linux?
>> e.g. i have the samba4 user 'andre' and i use winbind to
>> authentificat against the AD. and file 'test.dat' with owner
>> 'Administrator'. Now I use windows to assign an acl so 'andre' can
>> read 'test.dat'. but when i try under linux to access the file
>> 'test.dat' with the user 'andre' the access is denied!
>>

>> i mean is it possible to map the samba4 ACLs to posix ACLs?
>>
> Not until the source3 fileserver is merged with source4 I'm
> afraid. All the cleverness in mapping to POSIX ACLs is in the
> source3 smbd only right now.
>
> Jeremy.

So, what can I do? I need to use ACLs in Windows and the same on liunux
server. I use ext4 fs on the linux server, but ext4 only support POSIX ACLs.
What should I do? Can I change the filesystem (e.g. ZFS) so that I can
use the NT ACLs in linux or should I try s3compat? I also have to use
the NT ACLs  via NFS. Any idea?

Andre