Our success story with samba4

Lukasz Zalewski lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk
Fri Oct 22 13:54:47 MDT 2010

On 22/10/2010 19:52, Michael Wood wrote:
Hi Michael,
> Hi Lukasz
>
> On 19 October 2010 11:12, Lukasz Zalewski<lukas at eecs.qmul.ac.uk>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> This message is a testament to the great work samba team has done, but its
>> also an encouragement to those of you that still not sure if samba4 will
>> work in your environment.
>>
>> This semester we have moved from samba 3.0.X DC to samba4 DC for students,
>> and things are working great
>> The move was predominantly driven by switching from Windows XP to Windows 7
>> desktop platform (but also by a need for proper group policy).
>>
>> Our setup is quite simple and includes:
>>
>> One samba4 DC (running on centos 5.5 x64) with nsd dns backend
> [...]
>
> Do you have dynamic DNS updates working with nsd?  Using Kerberos?
>  From clients too or just with the samba_dnsupdate script?
Nope, AFAIK nsd can't do ms style dynamic updates (its the one bundled
with Centos 5.5). We decided to go for static dns (we have only one s4
DC), which is composed of the bind config file generated by s4 provision
(nsd can use bind config files, but TXT records have to be quoted for
some reason) and all other records generated from database.

> How was it to set up compared to bind?
Besides not setting up dynamic updates, quite easy (I think easier than
bind). As mentioned earlier, it supports bind config syntax (but TXT
records have to be quoted).

Regards

Luk