Review request: DNS server implementation

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Sat Oct 16 04:22:44 MDT 2010

On 16/10/2010 00:30, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> Hi Simo,
>
>   >  A lot of apps defer keytab overriding to the environment variable not
>   >  just bind. I can't say I like it, but it is not unexpected for admins
>   >  that are used to configure machines with kerberos.
>
> And that is the heart of the problem :-)
>
> For many Samba admins this will be their first introduction to
> kerberos, and probably the first time they have had to do anything
> fancier with bind than a default setup.
>
> Microsoft have done a good job of hiding the gory details of AD, so
> most admins don't have to know much about the details of how it
> works. In the Unix world, most people don't use kerberos, and only the
> brave ones tend to use dynamic DNS updates.
>
> With the Samba4 AD effort we're trying to bring all this complex
> technology to people who haven't had to deal with it before. We can't
> rely on their past experience with these technologies. We have to make
> it easy to get right.
Exactly, I don't call myself the smartest but I'm also not the dumbest
and it took me some days to get it right when in MS AD it's out of the box.
We can tend to something a bit simplier for the average admin that's a
reasonable goal and a one that will help the spread of samba as DC.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org