Review request: DNS server implementation

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Wed Oct 13 23:47:27 MDT 2010

Hi Simo,

 > Although having an option in named would be nice, the env variable
 > approach is not too terrible. But it would be nice, yes.

This is one of the things that bit Nadya at the AD plugfest. She
thought she'd debug bind using gdb, but didn't know that she needed to
do ". /etc/default/bind" before starting gdb. The resulting errors
were not helpful :-)

 > Looks like a Ubuntu security policy bug. Bind has had kerberos support
 > for a while, so they should test the configuration and fix the policy
 > accordingly.

yep. Now multiply this by the number of Linux distros and versions of
distros out there :-)

I should make it clear again that I fully intend to keep going on our
bind9 support. Many larger sites are too tied to bind for us not to
support it I think. I'd just like a reliable, easy to configure
alternative that is testable in the build farm. I'm hoping Kai's work
might give us that!

Cheers, Tridge