Review request: DNS server implementation

Trever L. Adams trever.adams at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 08:50:44 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 11:52 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:

> Provided the sam.ldb is somehow filled with DNS records, the server can
> provide answers to A, AAAA, CNAME, SOA and SRV requests. I'm currently
> working on unauthenticated updates, next on the list would be support
> for forwarders and PTR records, to complete the feature set needed for
> my internal DNS server at home.

I would suggest the following, regardless of whether it is through BIND
or not.

Administrator (and any server in Samba must allow the records) needs to
be able to update MX records. Every time I need to add one, I have to
modify private/named.conf.updates for administrator.

TXT records need to be supported (DKIM and many other things use these).

Just my few cents.

Trever
--
"The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray."
		-- Robert G. Ingersoll