Review request: DNS server implementation

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Oct 12 06:09:41 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 11:52 +0200, Kai Blin wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> at the AD interop event, metze and me have started a DNS implementation
> for Samba4. The goal of this DNS implementation is to provide both
> client and server side support for all the DNS features we need to
> provide to make AD work. While I'm not there yet, a basic DNS server
> implementation can already be found at
>
> http://git.samba.org/?p=kai/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/dns_review
> and git://git.samba.org/kai/samba.git branch dns_review
>
> Provided the sam.ldb is somehow filled with DNS records, the server can
> provide answers to A, AAAA, CNAME, SOA and SRV requests. I'm currently
> working on unauthenticated updates, next on the list would be support
> for forwarders and PTR records, to complete the feature set needed for
> my internal DNS server at home.
>
> While the implementation is by no means complete, I'd like to push this
> basic proof of concept implementation to the main tree. Given that it
> can't replace BIND yet, it won't be started by default.
>
> If you would like to try it, just add "dns" to your server services
> setting in smb.conf.

In all seriousness, while I think it must be exciting to build new
things, I think we have to stop building new servers.
This NIH syndrome is destructive. Who is going to maintain this code in
the long run ? We can barely maintain the code we have, adding new
servers seem to me like begging for problems later on.

What is wrong in building a BIND plugin and reducing the amount of work
to maintain to the minimum necessary for us ?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but these kind of things really trip me off ...

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce