s4:smbtorture Create a new random output directory each time, and delete it

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 11 14:27:42 MDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 16:55 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> Hi Andrew, Mathieu,
>
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 16:30 +0200, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> > The branch, master has been updated
> > commit 58294ffdee2066e3e051b6cb914f2708e6114089
> > Author: Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
> > Date:   Tue Jul 6 15:25:54 2010 +1000
> >
> >     s4:smbtorture Create a new random output directory each time, and delete it
> >
> >     This ensures we don't delete an exiting directory.
> >
> This is overkill, our existing function for generating a temporary
> directory already generates a random name. What was the case that
> triggered this?

As I understand the code, the directory this function creates was
created at to fine a level - at the level of individual tests.  I needed
an intermediate level that could be not be specified on the command
line, but which I could delete.  I was feeling quite paranoid about
running a deltree over something we didn't create, but too many places
called torture_temp_dir() to try and clean them up individually.

The big problem was leaving around multi-megabyte provision
directories.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.