AD pre/post 2003 / Samba 4 & Auxilliary objectclasses?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 30 14:11:03 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 17:13 +0100, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Generally we implement always the latest (newest) behaviour.

We sometimes try to support different functional levels, and we should
support Windows 2000 functional level where we can, but I would prefer
not to support the broken auxiliary class modal, unless it breaks
inbound replication when upgrading real-world windows 2000 domains.

> Matthias
>
> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> > > From TechNet:
> >
> > <quote>
> > The behavior of auxiliary classes has changed in Windows Server 2003
> > and later. In Windows 2000 Server, changes that are made to an
> > auxiliary class affect its parent class as well as all instances of
> > the parent object. For example, adding an auxiliary class called pager
> > to the structural class user affects all instances of user, which is
> > all of the user accounts that are created with the user class.
> >
> > In Windows Server 2003 and later, auxiliary classes can be assigned
> > dynamically to individual instances of classes, rather than being
> > applied automatically to all instances. For example, you can assign
> > the pager auxiliary class to only those users who need it.
> > </quote>
> >
> > Which behavior does Samba4 implement?

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.