how can i set my LDB that support UTF-8

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 29 02:22:23 MST 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 09:38 +0100, Angelos Oikonomopoulos wrote:
> On 11/27/2010 11:30 AM, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> [...]
> > As to backing up your Samba database, take a copy of all the files in
> > private, including in particular the sam.ldb.d directory and sam.ldb.
> > You can export it to LDIF using ldbsearch, including the passwords with
> > ldbsearch, but you must specify these additional attributes:
> >
> > 	currentValue
> > 	dBCSPwd
> > 	initialAuthIncoming
> > 	initialAuthOutgoing
> > 	lmPwdHistory
> > 	ntPwdHistory
> > 	priorValue
> > 	supplementalCredentials
> > 	trustAuthIncoming
> > 	trustAuthOutgoing
> > 	unicodePwd
> >
> > (that's the attributes that passwords and other secret things are in).
>
> This is the first time I've seen the procedure for backing up samba4
> described somewhere :-). Does the restore procedure involve just
> untarring private/ and using ldbadd with the saved LDIF?

No, it's not possible to simply restore that LDIF, sorry.  Just untar
private, as well as the [sysvol] and [netlogon] shares (ensure you back
up the xattrs on these too).

The binary files are the best format, because you cannot recreate the
database exactly, even from the LDIF (due to interactions with linked
attributes and other things).

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.