"net -d 10" does not work anymore

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 26 14:27:31 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 17:47 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 05:18:43PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > > Without using the registry smb.conf, this patch certainly fixes things
> > > for 'net rpc join', and so I'll submit these patches to autobuild
> > > soon.
> > >
> > > I'm very happy to work with you or others to determine exactly what the
> > > issue is with the registry smb.conf backend, but as far as I can tell,
> > > that is a distinct issue.
> >
> > Right now I can't reproduce the problem anymore. I'll let
> > you know when I find it again, then with exact instructions
> > how to reproduce it.
>
> Ok, here we are:

> [global]
> debug level = 1

That was the clue!  The -d10 option set 'log level = 1', and when tridge
and I wrote the lp_set_cmdline support for Samba3, we didn't correlate
that 'debug level' and 'log level' (among other examples of aliases)
where the same parameter.

This meant that when the smb.conf was re-loaded, we didn't skip handling
the debug level, as the flag wasn't set.

(We missed this detail of the requirement when we ported
lp_set_cmdline() from Samba4).

> whereas if I set "debug level = 10" in the smb.conf file, I
> get a much more verbose output.

Thanks for the clues.  Attached is the patch to fix this.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.