[S4] PW Settings being ignored?

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at etinternational.com
Fri Nov 26 09:24:58 MST 2010

So, I added some debugging to the code and it appears that for some
reason, even though I've set the history length to 0 in the pwsettings,
it's got a length of "4" from somewhere:

                 /* checks the NT hash password history */
                 for (i = 0; i < io->o.nt_history_len; i++) {
                         ret = memcmp(io->n.nt_hash,
io->o.nt_history[i].hash, 16);
                         if (ret == 0) {
                                 ret = LDB_ERR_CONSTRAINT_VIOLATION;
                                 ldb_asprintf_errstring(ldb,
                                         "%08X: %s -
check_password_restrictions: "
-                                        "the password was already used
(in history)!",
+                                        "the password was already used
(in history)! History length: %d",

W_ERROR_V(WERR_PASSWORD_RESTRICTION),
-                                        ldb_strerror(ret));
+                                        ldb_strerror(ret),
io->o.nt_history_len);
                                 io->ac->status->reject_reason =
SAM_PWD_CHANGE_PWD_IN_HISTORY;
                                 return ret;
                         }
                 }

yields:

msg: 0000052D: Constraint violation - check_password_restrictions: the
password was already used (in history)! History length: 4

-b