Greyhole VFS module(s)

Holger Hetterich hhetter at novell.com
Thu Nov 25 15:25:25 MST 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 25.11.2010, 17:13 -0500 schrieb Guillaume Boudreau:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 16:56, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 03:18:32PM -0500, Guillaume Boudreau wrote:
> >>
> >> Logging to a flat file allows Samba to work even if the actual
> >> Greyhole daemon is offline, for whatever reason.
> >> I didn't want to 'loose' file operations because the daemon was not
> >> running, or worse, prevent users from modifying files when that
> >> happened.
> >> The daemon, when it's running, can then parse those logs at whatever
> >> speed it can, and act on them accordingly.
> >
> > Why go through syslogd then ? Why not have Samba
> > write into a sqllite database, or maybe a transactional tdb
> > that the daemon can access simultaneously if it's running ?
> >
> > Right now you're using syslogd as an intermediate daemon
> > already to linearize the logs. Might be possible to build
> > this into the vfs module.
>
> Greyhole, when it read the syslog, do some processing and then inserts
> the rows in MySQL (or SQLite; configured in greyhole.conf). So yes,
> cutting the middle-man and inserting directly in the database from the
> VFS module would be very nice.
> Sadly, I'm not proficient enough in C to code this in the VFS module.
> Thus why my module writes in syslog (the simplest C code possible!),
> to be inserted in the DB by the Greyhole daemon.

The sqlite3 C interface is relativly simple, and perfect for the module,
as it could do anything (create the database... etc) on its own. You
would use sqlite3 >= 3.7.0 which allows WAL (Write Ahead Logging), then
you can have multiple readers while a writer (the module) is accessing
the database.

--
Holger Hetterich, hhetter at novell.com,
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany