Greyhole VFS module(s)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Nov 25 12:56:39 MST 2010

On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 02:53:08PM -0500, Guillaume Boudreau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeremy contacted me today about a possible inclusion of the Greyhole
> VFS module in mainline Samba.
> I'm thrilled by the idea, so here's the VFS module in question.
>
> For those who don't know Greyhole (that would be most if not all of
> you), you can read about it here: http://code.google.com/p/greyhole/
> "Greyhole is an application that uses Samba to create a storage pool
> of all your available hard drives (whatever their size, however
> they're connected), and allows you to create redundant copies of the
> files you store, in order to prevent data loss when part of your
> hardware fails."
>
> I have two versions (one for 3.4, one for 3.5) because my 3.4 version
> wouldn't compile on 3.5. Maybe there's a way to unify both into one
> file, but I don't know how.
> Suggestions are welcome. (Code reviews too!)
>
> The module is quite simple; it simply logs to syslogd
> (/var/log/messages) all file operations that Greyhole cares about.
> Those logs are formated in *-seperated fields: yuck! I'm sure someone
> can suggest a better approach than this to keep those logs
> machine-readable!

Do you have to log these to syslogd ? Is there a better
way to communicate with Greyhole ? You might want to
look at the code in modules/vfs_smb_traffic_analyzer.c
that communicates over a UNIX domain socket to an external
daemon that logs all Samba traffic. Could Greyhole be more
efficient using this ?

Jeremy.