wintest for testing Samba against windows

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 23 16:42:29 MST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 16:25 +1100, tridge at samba.org wrote:
> I've been working on a new test system for Samba called
> 'wintest'. I've recently pushed it into master in the wintest top
> level directory.
>
> The idea behind this system is to provide automatic testing against
> Windows, in contrast to our existing test system that tests Samba
> against its own internal test suites. Other main features include:
>
>  - it is designed to run as root, so it doesn't involve socket wrapper
>  - it tests from an installed copy of Samba, not from the source
>    directory, which means it tests our installation, library paths etc
>  - it uses python pexpect to control windows via the windows telnet server
>  - it is configurable for your own virtual machine setup. It should be
>    able to be configured for any modern virtual machine system that
>    can run windows

I just wanted the mention on the list that I've extended tridge's
wintest to work with my libvirt based KVM setup, and to automatically
configure a BIND server for the task.  It also tries to handle virtual
machines that have not been specially set up for this task - disabling
the firewall, raising the telnet limits etc.

My plan is to continue this automation, so that you can run all the
tests with as close as possible to freshly installed virtual machines to
start with.

> I think we should also consider pulling in pexpect into our bundled
> python libs, and start using it as part of 'make test'. It provides a
> very powerful way of testing interactive applications (such as
> smbclient).

This I think we really need to do.  Our existing blackbox testing would
be much more reliable if we did that.

I'm happy to help others who need a hand setting this up, particularly
in preparing virtual machines etc.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.