analyzing full scan in samba

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Tue Nov 23 14:32:43 MST 2010

Hello all,

Tridge pushed patches to make the tracing of full scan a bit more easy
to do it:

SERVER_LOG_LEVEL=2 LDB_WARN_UNINDEXED=y make test

and you'll see in the output + log of each server stuff like:
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (objectClass=*) BASE:
CN=schannel2,CN=Computers,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (uSNChanged>=1) BASE: DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (uSNChanged>=1) BASE:
CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (uSNChanged>=1) BASE:
CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (uSNChanged>=1) BASE:
CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (uSNChanged>=1) BASE:
CN=Configuration,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (uSNChanged>=1) BASE: DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (objectClass=*) BASE:
CN=schannel0,CN=Computers,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (objectClass=*) BASE:
CN=schannel1,CN=Computers,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (objectClass=*) BASE:
CN=schannel2,CN=Computers,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (objectClass=*) BASE:
CN=schannel3,CN=Computers,DC=samba,DC=example,DC=com
ldb: ldb FULL SEARCH: (objectClass=*) BASE:
CN=schannel4,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=com

I attached an filtered output (without OU) the most interesting are the
scan that do the whole database/partition as doing a full scan on a OU
with just a couple of object (ie. domain controllers) won't do a big
difference.

I pretty sure we have some stuff to do a bit better but I expected to be
much worse.

Simo, Tridge, can one of you sign of this patch it had the DN where the
full scan is made.

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org