samba 4 advice

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 08:41:01 MST 2010

Hi Suresh

Please send questions about Samba 4 to the samba-technical mailing
list and not to me personally.  Although I have successfully installed
Samba 4, I am not one of the experts.  The experts are all subscribed
to the samba-technical mailing list.  I have copied my reply there.

On 22 November 2010 17:02, suresh k <ksuresh136 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Michael,
> Iam testing samba4 in fedora 13 and dns server running in RHEL 4 in another
> server. iam confused by reading samba how to document. pls chk what i have
> done is correct or not. Pls guide me.
>
> setup
> DNS server :
> ip address   : 172.16.100.221
> Host name  : test
> domain name : example.lab
> samba 4 server:
> ip address : 172.16.100.222
> Host name : samba.example.lab
> in samba 4 server
>  installed packages
> libacl-devel libblkid-devel gnutls-devel readline-devel python-devel gdb
> pkgconfig

> I have not installed bind package in my samba 4 server is it require?

The Samba 4 HOWTO assumes you have bind9 on the same machine as Samba
4.  You should be able to get it to work with bind9 on another
machine, but if this is the first time you're trying Samba 4, I
suggest you do it exactly as per the HOWTO and when you have it
working, you can try getting it working with the DNS server on another
machine.  I have only tried it with both Samba 4 and bind9 on the same
machine.

> As per http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO document i have done
> step by step process.
> Step 1: Download Samba4
> samba-4.0.0alpha13.tar.gz
>
> Step 2: Compile Samba4
> cd samba-master/source4
> $ ./autogen-waf.sh
> cd samba-master/source4
>  $ ./configure.developer
>  $ make
> $ make quicktest
> The output of 'make quicktest' ended in  "ALL OK" message
> Step 3: Install Samba4
> $ make install
>
> Step 4: Provision Samba4
> $ cd samba-master/source4
>  $ ./setup/provision --realm=samba.example.lab --domain=SAMBA
> --adminpass=xxxxx --server-role='domain controller'
> I didn't get any error msg the output was
> .
> Setting up share.ldb
> Setting up secrets.ldb
> Setting up the registry
> Setting up the privileges database
> Setting up idmap db
> Setting up SAM db
> Setting up sam.ldb partitions and settings
> Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE
> Pre-loading the Samba 4 and AD schema
> Adding DomainDN: DC=samba,DC=example,DC=lab
> pdc_fsmo_init: no domain object present: (skip loading of domain details)
> Adding configuration container
> naming_fsmo_init: no partitions dn present: (skip loading of naming contexts
> details)
> Setting up sam.ldb schema
> Reopening sam.ldb with new schema
> naming_fsmo_init: no partitions dn present: (skip loading of naming contexts
> details)
> Setting up sam.ldb configuration data
> Setting up display specifiers
> Adding users container
> Modifying users container
> Adding computers container
> Modifying computers container
> Setting up sam.ldb data
> Setting up sam.ldb users and groups
> Setting up self join
> Setting up sam.ldb rootDSE marking as synchronized
> See /usr/local/samba/private/named.conf for an example configuration include
> file for BIND
> and /usr/local/samba/private/named.txt for further documentation required
> for secure DNS updates
> A Kerberos configuration suitable for Samba 4 has been generated at
> /usr/local/samba/private/krb5.conf
> Please install the phpLDAPadmin configuration located at
> /usr/local/samba/private/phpldapadmin-config.php into
> /etc/phpldapadmin/config.php
> Once the above files are installed, your Samba4 server will be ready to use
> Server Role:           domain controller
> Hostname:              samba
> NetBIOS Domain:        SAMBA
> DNS Domain:            samba.example.lab
> DOMAIN SID:            S-1-5-21-4291320313-3855956488-6440384
> Admin password:        xxxxx
>

> /usr/local/samba/private/named.txt
>  as per named.txt file, in which server we have to do changes in dns server
> [...]

The instructions assume you are running bind9 and Samba 4 on the same
machine.  As I mentioned above, I think you should first get it
working like this, and later you can try them on separate machines.
Doing it on separate machines will require more work and investigation
on your part, though.

> i have struck here pls advice what to do from here
>
> named.txt
[contents of named.txt snipped]

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>