the sparse bit

Björn JACKE bj at SerNet.DE
Mon Nov 22 06:54:03 MST 2010

Hi Tridge/James/Jeremy,

you all more or less touched the current sparse flag handling of Samba 3. Metze
and I are just about to implement that like Windows does. That means we report
all files as being *not* sparse (even if it's not fully allocated on our POSIX
filesystem) except that the file was flagged to be sparse, which is just
another bit setting.

The initial commit introducing the current sparse bit setting was this:

http://gitweb.samba.org/?p=import/samba-cvsimport.git;a=commitdiff;h=7dfdb456d4c9bcf6ecb1f7e5c5e79989f95e5627

Is there anything which relies on the current sparse handling that is based on
the comaprison of size and allocation size?

James: is there anything regarding this sparseness issues that affetcs Darwin
smbfs clients?

Cheers
Björn
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9