Samba on shares with XFS and kernel 2.6.18

Mon Nov 22 03:07:33 MST 2010

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 01:26:11AM +0100, Björn JACKE wrote:
> I really meant that we should issue a big warning and not do any workaround
> because such a setup is unsupported by glibc and kernel maintainers. Working
> around this issue will encourage users to keep the broken setup running and for
> other problems that arise due to the ancient XEN kernel/recent glibc
> combination people will start to look for the bugs in Samba again. We should
> not try to fix broken setups at the very wrong place. Therefore I'd prefer the
> attached short patch without any fallback code.

Sorry, here I have a different opinion.

If you want to not support this setup, you should make sure
that smbd does not start at all. With the current code smbd
fails to upload files with an extremely obscure error
message, something which will cause a LOT more questions to
the mailing lists. Nobody ever looks into log files before
posting to the lists.

So, either we support that setup or we do not start at all.

Volker