wintest for testing Samba against windows

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 03:30:41 MST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 6:25 AM,  <tridge at samba.org> wrote:
> I've been working on a new test system for Samba called
> 'wintest'. I've recently pushed it into master in the wintest top
> level directory.
>
> The idea behind this system is to provide automatic testing against
> Windows, in contrast to our existing test system that tests Samba
> against its own internal test suites. Other main features include:

[knip]

> For now the tests are meant to be run by someone logged into the test
> machine. I'd like to extend this to cron driven testing that puts its
> results into the build farm at some point in the future.

I am no developper, just a sysadmin. But we do automated tests from
linux to windows without logging in to the windows servers through nrpe,
which is a part of nagios. You need to install a nagios client in the
windows servers, the most widely used is nsclientpp: http://nsclient.org/nscp/.
This happens as part of our deployment strategy, hands off.

You define the commands you need to run in an ini file in the windows
hosts and you can run those commands from a linux nagios server and have
its ouput seen there too. We check the AD replication in our AD
environmnet like that, running dcdiag.exe and parsing its output in the
domain controllers, then passing the results to our linux monitoring
server. We check lots of stuff like this, anything you can run as a
shell command in windows hosts, you can check in linux with the
check_nrpe plugin.

Just a suggestion, of course.

--
natxo