[Release Planning 3.6] Samba 3.6.0pre2

Guenther Deschner gd at samba.org
Thu Nov 18 15:38:49 MST 2010

Hi Karolin,

On 11/17/2010 10:34 PM, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Am 16.11.2010 17:15, schrieb Jeremy Allison:
>> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 04:02:38PM +0100, Karolin Seeger wrote:
>>> Hey folks,
>>>
>>> are we ready for Samba 3.6.0pre2 or are there any important issues which
>>> need to be addressed first?
>>
>> I think Guenther has something *VERY IMPORTANT* he needs to say
>> on this matter :-). Simo too, probably :-).
>
> We need to fix the rpc client code, to avoid always using a read request
> after the trans request.
> I have a fix for that, but I need to clean it up a bit.
> And it's also hard to backport it to 3.6 (from master) as some of Simo's
> patches
> are not backported yet.

Yeah, there is a whole bunch of changes still missing.

Of course - as usual - my fault :-)

I took several approaches to cherry pick all those while still at the
SDC, succeeded with some but failed miserably with most of them. As
metze pointed out: there are some subtile dependencies on other larger
changesets (auth merges, new rpc server) that are not merged yet. And
then I was notoriously bad on merging back the spoolss fixes after
andreas and simos rewrite...

To summarize: I have a not so good feeling for v3-6-test at least when
it comes to printing and spoolss... Alternatives now are:

a) come up with painfully hand-merged patches (where we never can be
sure of where we are exactly and if we got all important bits, also
further cherry-picking stays painful) or
b) copy over master (which has cooled down a bit recently) for the next
pre-release (which would be a slap in the face to those who carefully
picked and merged to 3-6-test so far (I am certainly not amongst these)).

As I have the impression that at least master is way better tested and
at least used sporadically by developers (unlike 3.6), I strongly vote
for option b). But its not up to me to make that decision and then again
I can fully understand anyone voting against.

Guenther

--
Günther Deschner                    GPG-ID: 8EE11688
Red Hat                         gdeschner at redhat.com
Samba Team                              gd at samba.org