s3: Quieten a bogus error message

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Nov 10 05:48:45 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 00:09 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:48:48AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > The reason why my customer is doing that is to avoid smbd to
> > > swamp the DC when winbind is down. It's a really large
> > > deployment, and if thousands of smbds would simultaneously
> > > connect to the DCs, it would be very unhappy.
> >
> > Indeed!  Part of why I don't like users setting this setting is because
> > I would like us to be able to change the defaults.  Do you think we can
> > get rid of the non-winbind case any time soon?
>
> Not sure. winbind is perceived as a complex component that
> many people try to stay away from.

I would rather split winbindd in 2 parts. A "frontend" that deals with
caching and resolving queries from the user space (nss/pam/ntlm_auth)
and a SAMR/LSA/NETLOGON server.
Configuration would determine if only the LSA daemon runs (perhaps
launched by smbd) or if the frontend also runs.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce