about buildfarm tidiness

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 9 13:34:33 MST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 19:16 +0100, Björn Jacke wrote:
> On 2010-11-01 at 13:43 +0300 Matthieu Patou sent off:
> > Normaly it should be taken into account by the build script I saw
> > something about this. Now given the fact that a lot of server have
> > their own script it's possible that the cleanup is only in the
> > generic.fns.
>
> I've fixed that already, the cleaning of old build trees works again, also for
> the very old build treeѕ.
>
> > >In addition to that the /tmp/ dir is also continously being filled with data
> > >(mostly TDB file with mktemp-like filenames) which are not being deleted after
> > >use in the build farm tests. On the sles8 build host this have been 100MB in
> > >half a month. Some days ago I wiped out about 2GB of data on that host after it
> > >ran out of space. You can have a look at any random build host to see the same
> > >effect there. How can we fix that?
> > Well I think the easy way is to add a command to clean /tmp of file
> > owned by the build user. What do you think ?
>
> that is still left to do. On the autobuild box there are now 50.000 files in
> /tmp/ all leftovers from the test runs. Maybe /tmp/ shouldn't be used at all
> but a own tmp direcory inside the build user's home directory? Any idea about
> that?

Sure.  Any use of the system /tmp is a bug, and should found and caught.
Perhaps we should override TMPDIR in the build scripts just to be
double-sure.

Sadly we can't autocleanup /tmp, so we just need to kindly ask our
administrators to help clean it up on their individual machines.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.