Current state of all the perl-scripts

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Nov 3 19:49:26 MDT 2010

Hi Herwin,

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 14:23 +0100, Herwin Weststrate wrote:
> There are a number of Perl-scripts in the current Samba-source which are
> probably meant as helper scripts. These scripts are written ages ago and
> the best practices for Perl have changed a bit since then. For example,
> some scripts use deprecated code and don't enable pragmas like warnings
> and script (which simplify the process of finding errors in your
> script).
We can't use "use warnings;" at the moment because it breaks on older
perls that we have to support. Of course, you can temporarily enable
them on your local machine to find warnings and fix them. Warning fixes
would generally seem like useful changes to me.

> I am willing to rewrite them all to a more modern perl, but before I
> start with it I'd like to know if such a patch would be accepted or if
> these current scripts are in a state like `it works, don't touch it.
You mention rewriting them to a modern perl, but what do you mean by
that? As far as I know perl5 hasn't added that much features in recent
years to warrant a rewrite of those scripts. What files would you like
to improve in particular, and what sort of changes would you like to
make ?

Cheers,

Jelmer