Upgrading Samba 4 by vampire?

Angelos Oikonomopoulos angelos.oikonomopoulos at fp-commerce.de
Wed Nov 3 03:49:59 MDT 2010

Hello all,

for my setup it is likely that I'll have to use virtual machines to run
Samba 4 as a domain controller. So this gave me the idea of upgrading by
building a VM with the newer Samba 4 version, joining the domain as a DC
and then decommissioning the older Samba 4 VM. In particular, since I
plan to run a redundant setup, I'd like to do that in pairs (i.e.
joining two new VMs to the domain, then taking out the old ones).

Is this expected to work? Any other considerations I'm not aware of?

Thanks,
Aggelos