Should we keep debug classes?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Nov 2 16:41:38 MDT 2010

Gentlemen,

I've been looking into the differences between the Samba3 and Samba4
debug systems, and Jeremy suggested on IRC that you would be the folks
to ask about the real world use of debug classes.

Firstly, I want to make clear that I'm not looking to just replace the
S3 system with the S4 system - there are other important differences
such as syslog that must be preserved into any eventual merged solution
(and this is why I've put the effort into the S3 system).

That said, I'm wondering if we should keep debug classes.  They add an
incredible amount of complexity to the debug code, and I wonder if they
have turned out to be as useful as originally imagined.

Metze:  When Jelmer last asked about this 2 years ago, you wanted to
keep them, but for them to be re-factored into some kind of bit-field
system (like OpenLDAP uses).  Given that this hasn't happened (and is
unlikely to happen), do you still think debug classes are worth keeping?

In running or debugging Samba, do debug classes help?  Or do we end up
needing to ask the reporter for an all classes level 10 anyway, (because
only a subset of files are marked with classes, and class markings have
no automatic recursion into helper functions)?

Thanks,

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.