winbind apis

Tue Nov 2 05:22:14 MDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 06:18:38AM -0500, Shirish Pargaonkar wrote:
> >> Where can I find out what are winbind APIs and documentation
> >> on those APIs?
> >
> > Trying to guess: You're looking for the functionality
> > winbind exposes via /tmp/.winbindd/pipe? We're exposing
> > almost everything of that via libwbclient these days. You
> > can find the API in the Samba source under
> > nsswitch/libwbclient/wbclient.h.
> >
> > Volker
> >

> Volker, Thanks.  I am not sure what exactly means or how to use
> /tmp/.winbindd/pipe but will go through the APIs in wbclient.h.

/tmp/.winbindd/pipe is winbind's entry point for user
services. I used that as a metaphor of the external winbind
functionality. With "APIs" it might have been possible that
you mean winbind internals, such as for example the idmap
backend API. I was guessing that you mean the former, the
external API available to all applications running on the
Unix system. This is now standardized via libwbclient.

Volker