s4:rpc_server/dcesrv_auth.c - Fix a RPC issue in conjunction with Windows 2000

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun May 30 07:04:44 MDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 14:53 +0200, Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> if you are so concerned I don't have another possibility other than to
> revert it. I just would like to bring to attention that the mentioned
> "special" RPC calls work against Windows Server 2008 - so the problem is
> definitely valid.

I need to understand how they solve the issue without introducing a
security hole.  We have never done that study, nor have I seen an
smbtorture test that demonstrates this handle sharing (as that would be
the first part to determine if this can be safely implemented).

> Before I pushed this fix I tried also to activate our header-sign
> support ("dcesrv:header sign = yes" in smb.conf) - which would be the
> expected solution. But then the whole schannel interactions with the
> Windows client broke.
>
> I revert but I wish that you or metze take care about the issue and see
> what's still missing in our own RPC header-sign implementation. If this
> is fixed then we are done.

I can make no promises that we will support this.  However, I can
promise that I will not allow this to be fixed by 'quick hacks'.

I'm sorry to be so stern, but this is a critical part of our DCE/RPC
infrastructure, and your changes have an impact on every signed or
sealed DCE/RPC connection to our server.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.