Samba4 Patch: newuseradv and newgroupadv scripts for net cmd utlity

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 28 06:49:20 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-28 at 12:34 +0100, Lukasz Zalewski wrote:

> This makes it much clearer, thank you :)
> I have noticed that samba4 net utility did away with rpc (and ads and
> rap) submenus. This makes things a little bit simpler in terms of
> options but it also makes grouping more difficult, i.e.
> newuser utility conceptually should be submenu of user.
> Would (similarly to old net utility) the following net user structure be
> feasible
>
> user	User management
> 	new 	Creates a new user
> 	delete	Deletes a user
>
> 	rpc
> 		new	Creates a new user [server connection needed]
> 		delete	Deletes a user	   [server connection needed]

I strongly dislike the 'rpc' and 'ads' design pattern.  It was a mistake
when we first did it, and reviving it isn't a good idea, except for
compatibility with existing scripts.

We should not require the user to know what the best transports to use
are - we should just detect and use the best depending on what we have
access to.

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.