Samba4 Patch: newuseradv and newgroupadv scripts for net cmd utlity

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri May 28 00:52:21 MDT 2010

On 27 May 2010 21:42, Lukasz Zalewski <lukas at dcs.qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 27/05/2010 16:41, Michael Wood wrote:

>>> Why is this a separate command?  Surely we can just have options on the
>>> existing command?
>>>
>>> It's great to be able to set these things, but I don't like 'newuseradv'
>>> as a name - it will just confuse things.
>>
>> I agree.  net is confusing enough as it is :)
>>
>> e.g.:
>>
>>        password        Changes/Sets the password on a user account [server
>> connection needed]
>> [...]
>>        setpassword     (Re)sets the password on a user account
>>

> On the simmilar note,
> there is also
>        newuser         Creates a new user
> [...]
>        user            User management [server connection needed]
>
> where
> bin/net user
> Available subcommands:
>        add
>        delete
>
> what is the difference between the two?

Some net commands directly access the LDB files.  I suspect this is
the difference, but I'm not sure it makes sense.  A "net" command that
has nothing to do with the network? :)

Maybe there's a good reason for the confusion or maybe the commands
that directly access the LDB files should be split into a separate
tool?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>