SMB2 protocol in 3.5.2 Tests

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 27 15:45:53 MDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 02:40:34PM -0500, MICHAEL BROWN wrote:
> Jeremy,
> that is great to hear.  When do you guys foresee 3.6 releasing?

Target is 9 months after the 3.5.0 release. As I said at
SambaXP, we should chose 9 months so we can make the joke

"It takes 9 months to do a Samba release, no matter
how many engineers are involved" :-) :-).

> Across WANS with latency above 40 ms.,
> you can really tell the difference in speed using v3.5.3 and SMB 2 protocol.  It uses the bandwidth a lot
> more effectively/efficiently.

That's the fact that MS did a lot of work in the client.
They could have done that work in SMB1 but chose not to
(Volker did that work in our SMB1 client).

If you want to test it in advance of 3.6.0 (please do!)
check out the "master" tree. SMB2 is just about feature
complete (I need to fix the quota editing code but that's
the only missing bit I know about).

Jeremy.