SMB2 protocol in 3.5.2 Tests

MICHAEL BROWN mbrown at mesainc.com
Thu May 27 13:40:34 MDT 2010

Jeremy,
that is great to hear.  When do you guys foresee 3.6 releasing?  Across WANS with latency above 40 ms.,
you can really tell the difference in speed using v3.5.3 and SMB 2 protocol.  It uses the bandwidth a lot
more effectively/efficiently.

On a side note, I had a different post asking about slow speeds during authentication, per this post:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-April/070268.html

I figured out what caused this issue by finding some old SAMBA "howto" postings off of SAMBA's web site.
The problem was the "password level" and "username level" switches in the config file.  I set these values
to "0" and the authentication speed is just about as fast as the OpenLDAP speeds, which I was pleased to
see.  Meaning, I can't tell a difference in authenticating S3 AD joined servers across a WAN to master AD servers
vs. the old S2 to OpenLDAP authentication speeds.  Awesome.

I would eventually like to add SAMBA 4 AD servers to the existing AD domain in efforts of getting everything over
to SAMBA 4.  Can't wait for you guys to get S4 to a point where you guys feel it is at a level of replicating
correctly to do so.

Keep up the great work!

<20100527165611.GA20587 at samba1>, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 12:39:51PM -0600, MICHAEL BROWN wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>> I have a question with the "test" SMB2 protocol.  3.5.2 is joined to a 2008
> R2 domain.  On a
>> Windows 7 (32 bit) machine, I can authenticate, list, and view documents (it
> is slow) but I can't:
>>
>> *) View document permissions on the 3.5.2 share
>> *) Copy files from the 3.5.2 share to the Windows 7 machine.
>>
>> When enabling the SMB2 switch in smb.conf,
>> should copying files to Windows 7 using SMB2 work at this time and should
> browsing be
>> really slow, as well as not seeing the file/folder permissions on the
> server?
>> If I disable the SMB2 protocol, it works fine.
>
> I've done a lot of work on SMB2 since 3.5.x. The SMB2 in 3.6.0 will
> be production ready (ie. we could turn it on by default, but probably
> won't due to caution :-).
>
> Jeremy.

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.