Best practice in building custom vfs modules

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Wed May 19 10:03:17 MDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 01:48:39PM +0200, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:

> I guess however that we are not the only two persons to develop a custom vfs
> for samba, so maybe also the samba team may find useful to somehow
> "externalize" the includes needed to build a vfs. I think it should be
> possible.
>
> What about posting a feature request?

Thanks for this. Yes, this is something we should make much
easier. It's complicated by the fact that VFS modules have
access to all the internal Samba symbols, for good or ill..

The VFS isn't guarenteed to be a stable API, although we
do try and keep it consistent within a stable release stream
(3.4.x, 3.5.x etc.). As we discover more about what we need
to map to emulate Windows at the POSIX layer, and fit the
needs of OEM's with different filesystems, we need to be
able to modify the VFS to suit them.

Jeremy.