Best practice in building custom vfs modules

Holger Hetterich hhetter at novell.com
Wed May 19 05:21:32 MDT 2010

Hi Giampaolo,

Am Mittwoch, 19. Mai 2010 12:04:19 schrieb Giampaolo Tomassoni:
> Is there any "best practice" in referring to the needed samba includes and
> libraries in order to compile and build a VFS module? I mean, my VFS module
> looks more like a samba component than an external custom module: I need to
> specify to gcc the needed includes directories, then include the carefully
> identified include files, then identify the libraries to link against...
>
> Is there any way to refer to samba includes and libraries for VFS modules
> in a portable way?

I don't know of such a way currently.There's samba-vscan, which
tries to build externally, but it a) requires generated config.h
from a ./configure run of Samba b) does do a lot of effort to care
for any older samba version it should run on.

Therefore, I develop my modules in a forked master git tree of samba, and
backport the source to the samba versions I am asked for afterwards.
This way I am keeping my main code of the module compatible with the
newest samba development, and can with manageable effort backport the
code to older releases which sources are more carved in stone.

As my modules are likely for public interest, I also have the option to get
it into the samba master tree by asking some friendly samba team members
(they are all friendly ;)  ). As you said your module is for someones specific
needs, that situation might not be interesting to you.

Holger

--
Holger Hetterich, hhetter at novell.com,
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany