Broken

Dan Rudder dan at rudder.us
Wed May 12 05:23:57 MDT 2010

Thank you all for getting back to me!!!!!
I filed the report because a dialog box suggested I do so.

I do not consider myself much more than a newbie when it comes to the
guts of Linux. I have been using desktop distros ( Puppy to save old
machines that I give to people to use who cannot afford a new computer,
PCLINUXOS, Fedora (my only commercial application),and various Ubuntu
versions including Mint)  for 5 years. I usually can fix most problems
that I run into thanks to Google and my experiences with MS os's and
networking.

I would like to repeat that my problem is not unique to me. How many, I
have no way of knowing, just that it appears to be an issue on the forums.

I had a fully updated machine according to package manager. I did a
distro upgrade with apt-get. Samba did not run after upgrade. I tried to
start Samba and would get a message to install Samba4, which I did
several times. Some times it would work until I restarted the machine
and then quit or sometimes it would not work at all. Only after
completely removing Samba and then reinstalling did it work. Even then,
it would not connect to my MS Workgroup because it was not named
"WORKGROUP", until I added my workgroup.

I use and give out a lot of livecd's for people to try Linux and to
rescue broken MS systems. Most people are going to say that if it does
not work out of the box (like it use to work), they are not going to use it.

Thank you for your time,
Dan