Re-engaging the Samba4 LDAP backend

Endi Sukma Dewata edewata at redhat.com
Tue Mar 30 17:52:55 MDT 2010

Hi Andrew,

----- "Andrew Bartlett" <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:

>  - a replacement for the Samba4 rdn_name module.  For OpenLDAP I have
> tried out  ITS#6055 but it fails, sadly.
> http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Development?id=6055;selectid=6055
> I don't know of any comparable effort in Fedora DS.

We're considering this proposal for FDS:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/RDN_Value
At this point it's still being designed, so I can't say yet when this
would become available.

>  - Transaction support.  While most of the transaction-aware tasks in
> Samba have now been either pushed off as 'too hard on LDAP' or into
> modules that are now in the LDAP backend, we still do need
> transactions
> over LDAP.

Transaction on FDS is deferred until later this year:
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/LDAP_Transactions

>  - A way to easily detect that we have OpenLDAP or Fedora DS
> installed
> on the system, and what it's version is.  Once we have that, we could
> start trying to run at least some of Samba4's tests against such a
> backend regularly (and stop breaking it so often).

The buildsamba02 machine is configured to test against FDS:
http://build.samba.org/?function=View+Build;host=buildsamba02;tree=samba_4_0_test;compiler=gcc

I hope there's somebody who could maintain a similar system configured
with OpenLDAP.

>  - Some help debugging the existing 'make test' failures!

I've fixed some FDS-specific failures. I'll send you the patches soon.

> To address a broader range of use cases, I'm looking forward to the
> work
> Endi has promised for a 'ldap backend config file' as input to
> provision.  Hopefully this will reduce the options we have to present
> users on the provision command line.

Sorry about the delay on this. It's coming but slowly because I have to
handle other issues as well.

Thanks!

--
Endi S. Dewata