Choosing a new build system for Samba

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Sat Mar 20 09:33:36 MDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 02:04:56PM -0400, yaberger at ca.ibm.com wrote:
> Volker Lendecke wrote:
> < For the non-merged Samba 3 server I would like to maintain
> < the ability to build it without python for as long as
> < possible. Even if it means to maintain a separate
> < configure.in/Makefile.in I think it is worth it. It does not
> < happen on a weekly basis, but I frequently go to customers
> < with weird platforms where it is extremely hard to even
> < download the samba tarfile. Being forced to download and
> < build python to compile Samba will make my job a lot more
> < difficult in many situations.
>
> I would *really* appreciate to be able to build samba without having to
> maintain a python package on my AIX systems.

I once used jython 2.2 to run some fairly substantial Python. If jython
2.5.1 is as good as claimed you may well be able to do an S4 build.
Commercial Unix often has good Java support. Something tells me not a
lot of people on this list will be motivated to try this out, but it
might be one way to avoid python grief for you.

I'm a bit puzzled though. You presumably have to build a whole lot of
other things such as OpenLDAP and maybe even parts of the toolchain such
as bison. Why is cpython such a problem?

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org