samba4 join as DC fails with NT_STATUS_ERROR_DS_OBJ_STRING_NAME_EXISTS

Matthew Geddes musicalcarrion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 12:11:10 MDT 2010

I think it's the following:

CN=NTDS
Settings,CN=$client_host,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=$realm,DC=$realm

It looks like starting a vampire and having it fail leaves a few things
around and if this one exists, subsequent vampires will fail. Where '$realm'
is the domain components of your realm and '$client_host' is the name of the
machine you're running vampire on.

Using ldapdelete, your administrator bind credentials and giving a suitable
variant on that DN should help.

Now if someone can explain why it fails with NT_STATUS_TOO_MUCH_SUNLIGHT,
that'd be great... :)

thx,
Matt