valgrind and stdout redirects

Andreas Schneider asn at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 06:04:46 MDT 2010

Hi Jeremy,

I've tried to get debug level 10 output in make selftest the last two days to
fix a bug in my spoolss code.

The strange thing was that I didn't get any logging output and others did. I
tracked it down to ec4ed45563f9d8e25fcfd88840944a90b3139c3e which adds

#ifndef VALGRIND

to close_low_fds() in lib/util/become_daemon.c

This means that if you have the valgrind-devel package installed and compile
with developer mode, stdout isn't closed.

I you don't have valgrind-devel install 'make selftest' doesn't log anything
after it is became a daemon.

If your remove the -S option from the smbd you get logfiles in in st/dc/logs.
Which is what I want, but probably not what you want on the build farm.

However the current state is broken in either way. So how should this be
fixed? Metze told me I should ask you.

Cheers,

	-- andreas