insufficient access rights

Matthew Geddes musicalcarrion at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:42:19 MDT 2010

I'm assuming it's Samba4 you're running on your domain controller, but this
will apply to anything from Microsoft from 2003 (R2?) and later from memory.

It's an LDAP error, as opposed to an error over some of the RPC calls
involved and I suspect it's probably happening when the XP client tries to
set the servicePrincipalName and dNSHostName attributes on the machine's
trust account.

Unless this is done with a more privileged account than a normal user, AD
will prevent you from making the change unless the client host's domain name
is within the same domain as the domain controller or something along those
lines.