Need a schema reload in Samba4 on any Schema change

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Mar 11 15:16:37 MST 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 10:41 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett schrieb:
> > As I mentioned on IRC, I've recently done the work to get us to run
> > 'make test' with a vampired DC.
> >
> > You can see the branch for that work at
> > git://git.samba.org/abartlet/samba.git vampire-test-wip
> >
> > The problem is, untested code is broken code, and our DRSUAPI server was
> > segfaulting, due to 'make test' altering the schema.  We would add
> > attributes to the directory, but not all cached copies of the schema
> > were updated.
> >
> > We need to ensure a message is somehow sent to all users of the schema
> > to update, as soon as a change is made.
>
> I think we need a hook that checks and reloads the schema at the start
> of each add/modify/rename/delete operation.

It's actually worse than that - the segfault (now just an error) was for
a read!  (So we could need to do the reload at the end of an op, but
that still smells of races).

I'm wondering, as it's not valid to change or delete essential aspects
of the schema, if instead we can reload only when we get errors - like
no such attribute by an attrid?

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.